Thursday, August 16, 2012

Living Gluten Free and Loving it!


Because I live with someone that has celiac decease I have decided that I would make gluten free meals everytime I cook dinner. At first, I thought it was going to be hard and it is if you're not in the right mindset. When I looked into cooking GF I found that most of what I make is already  gluten free dish anyways, or can be easily reworked to be.

Maybe it's my supportive nature but I just would feel awful if I made cookies/cake/bread in our house that Hubster cant eat. I like to bake, cook AND share. You just cant do that when the people to whom you will be sharing cant digest what you have lovingly made for them.

So, I guess my point is; living gluten free is easier then you think. Think about all the stuff that you would miss if you didn't eat gluten. Cake (very sugary and fattening), cookies (same as cake), muffins (most of them are comparable to the formers) and any other rising bakery item. All of those things are delicious, I know, and you can and should have them. IN MODERATION. The great thing about gluten free bakery items (I think anyways) is that they aren't that easy to find and they are expensive. So they aren't laying around the house, waiting to be gobbled up. At least we don't buy them that often. There are also great recipes for GF desserts. I love no bake cookies. They are easy to make and so tasty!

Now, main dishes. One of the things that I find most frustrating about the GF diet is that the food is so much more expensive. What I do for my family is I make meals that don't normally contain gluten. Things like; BBQ Chicken, Brisket, Beef Tacos, Jambalaya and Chicken, Grilled Fish and many more. I also take lots of things that have gluten one the side like a bun, noodles ect, and I replace the gluten with something else. One of our favorite things to eat is sloopy joes. But instead of having buns with it (GF buns can run around $5 for 4 buns. You can get 8 GF buns for sometimes under a dollar!) we bake a potato and scoop the sloopy joes on to that.

Living gluten free is all about imagination! Think of your favorite foods that you love and figure out a way to make them GF. Also, the best tool of all(!) is the internet! I have found so many delicious recipes online. Here are some of those sites that I love and follow.




No comments:

Post a Comment